Saturday, January 3, 2009

One thing down

As Promised her is a post from you promised list.
First a little history: My Brother Nate moved in with us a few months ago (Nov.) and he has been driving Lance's truck, just until he can buy himself a car. (yes, he does pay us, we're not that generous) But we do enjoy him being with us.
SO that being said... On Dec. 10 (my anniversary) I had a doctors apointment so I needed a car, I got up early and took Nate to work so that I would have one. I rolled out of bed, brushed my teeth and left. I dropped him off safely. Then on my way back I was going through an intersection and the light turned yellow & a PT Cruiser made a left turn right in front of me, I slammed on my breaks, but slid right in to them none the less. It was Horrible. There was nothing I could do to avoid it.
This is what the truck looked like
this pic. doesn't do it justice, but it's the best I have
And here is the PT Cruiser after the jaws of life took the door off
OUCH!!!!
I hit a Man and his wife, his wife was in the passenger seat. This happened shortly after 7 am on a Wednesday this intersection was pretty crowded, there were at least 20+ people who witnessed it, and NOBODY stopped!!! Obviously this was a bad accident a Ford F350 (a big truck) just plowed into a PT Cruiser (a small car)!!!! Since I had just rolled out of bed and gotten in the car with Nate, I didn't have my purse or phone, the couple didn't have a cell phone either. I Had to flag someone down, to call 911. And I am not kidding when I say 15 people just drove right by me. Finally a Taxi stopped (go figure) and I asked him to call, he did and it only took a couple minutes for them to come. WARNING- this next part is not for the weak stomached, skip to the next paragraph. The Jaws of life had to be used to get her out because the door wouldn't open and part of the door actually was insider her leg, you could see it (her leg guts) through the door. It was awful.
The ambulance took the couple away, but I had to stay until they heard back weather or not "she made it" I couldn't 'believe it she might die! (Then they would have to call in the CSI for car accidents) I guess they had to determine if she had cut a main artery in her leg, then she would have had the possibility of loosing too much blood. I got to leave at 9:30 the word being that they were going to have to cut off her leg. (relief, but still bad news, at least she wasn't 'going to die)
I walked a way with nothing. the next day I was just a tiny bit stiff, I've had worse from sleeping wrong. The driver of the PT just had a few scratches from all the broken glass, and after talking to their insurance people, she didn't loose her leg, she shattered her knee cap and had a pretty nasty gash that was almost the whole length of her thigh. The whole rest of the day the accident just kept replaying over and over in my head, every time I tried to close my eyes it was all I could see. Lance took the day off and took care of Mia , and for 2 days after I had a hard time getting behind the wheel, and for quite a while (and sometimes still) I get tense when going through a yellow light. It was a huge blessing 1-that I was driving the truck not the Camry, 2-I was alone, that never happens, Mia is usually with me, and 3- ultimately everyone was just fine. We were all being looked over that day. It is Jan. 3 and I'm still driving a rental car, but we should have the truck back on Monday.

8 comments:

Wyatt and Tara said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad you are ok and you didn't have your baby with you! Accidents suck!

Carli said...

That is terrible! I would be so scared too. I am glad you are okay though!

Sarah said...

Holy SCARY! And what a blessing the circumstances were, even though it was crazy scary. I hope you are feeling better about it, what a trauma!

hoopesfam5 said...

Let me know if I can do anything...seriously. I am glad to hear that you made it through ok!

Bobbi said...

That is scary. I am so glad everyone was okay.

Erin Hoy said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you!!! I totaled Ben's truck a few years back by slamming it into a cement divider on the freeway. It took me a really long time to be able to get back behind the wheel and drive and even now when it rains (I hydroplaned in the rain) I get really scared, but it gets better every year. I'm very glad to hear that the lady didn't loose her leg! What a relief! Glad that you are ok and that you didn't have Mia in the car with you!

Mike and Bianca said...

wow, i'n glad that you're okay and that mia wasn't with you. i feel so sad for that lady, but i'm glad that she didn't die.

Logan said...

I was so glad to finally read that you didn't have Mia with you! I had Mad in the car when I was hit by a F350 the same way you hit the PT. She was 21 months and I was a few months pregnant with Regan. I was driving a Saturn and it probably saved her because of the way they designed them to perform in a crash. It was majorly scary, so I was totally worried about you! I remember the scared feeling, too. I still freak when I see accidents, but I've been in three major ones. Love you guys! Logan