Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Pre-Potty Training

OK, so I convinced that Mia is going to be easy to potty train. She loves sitting on the toilet, but has not gone yet. When she turns 18 months I am going to really try to do it. Now before you go off thinking I'm crazy, because she's too young let me tell you this; Lance & I were both very easy to potty train & were both totally trained before we were two years old, so hopefully Mia will fall in our footsteps. So that being said, do any of you moms have any trick or methods that have worked for you? (Please let me know I'm really interested)

One morning I was taking a shower & Mia was just hanging out in the bathroom and when I got out I found this. she is too cute. I love that girl.



4 comments:

Erin Hoy said...

That is super cute!!! Good luck with the potty training and let me know what works for you :)

Rachel Wattson said...

Potty training is a taking of course. They won't do it until they are ready. I tried everything to start Frank, I gave up and then about a week later he gets this look on his face and goes " Oh, I gotta pee!" Don't be discouraged if you decide to "take a break." You're off to a good start just getting her to sit on the potty. Another thought when you get ready to go for it is getting her pretty panties. She won't want to get them dirty and you can try a progress chart with a chance at little rewards after she goes 4 or 5 times. She gets a sticker on her chart every time then WOW she gets a prize out of the grab bag after 4 or 5 stickers. DON'T take stickers off for an accident though. Some kids are way easy. I hope Mia inherited your easy potty genes:)

Mike and Bianca said...

Oh!!!! Mia is growing to fast! I think it's great that you are potty training her so early though. I heard that it's a lot of work but I know that the Super Mommy can do it! I think she will catch on easily too, since she's so dang smart. I also heard that letting them watch you go helps.... I don't know how true that is though! Oh my goodness, I can't believe she put the teddy bear on the toilet! silly girl!!! i love her!

Sarah said...

Consistency. Consistency. Consistency! I can't say that enough. When she's ready, you will know, there are a zillion signs, like can she pull up and down her (elastic-waisted) pants, can she communicate she's ready to go potty, is she interested, is she physialogically ready (can't spell it), can she hold her bowels for at least two hours? The list goes on. (*She may be interested, but not physically ready, don't confuse the two in your excitement to potty train, I did the same thing!)
Treats help out so much. Lincoln gets one M&M for #1, two for #2! Potty charts and stickers really help, too; you can put it in plain sight above her potty seat so she can see her progress, and how close she is to that ultimate reward, something big that she'd really like (a trike, for Lincoln's example). Expect backsliding, don't punish them for that but don't let them go unnoticed either. At your local library there are a zillion and one resources for potty training; get one (or all of them), just to go with a method that agrees with your parenting style. I got 9 potty training books, read them all, and realized that they all said the same thing, gthe only difference is your approach. Sorry for the novel, we're going through potty training right now. It can be greuling! But like I mentioned earlier, it's all about consistency!