Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Viewer discression is advised


So we had this pigeon make a nest, well this pile of sticks, on our balcony (storage area) first there was just one egg, then a week later there were two eggs. Of course I did not want this pigeon nest on our balcony, but I thought it would be fun to watch them hatch. I also didn't want to kill any of the birds or eggs, so I decided that as soon as the egg hatched and the bird left the nest, we would get rid of it. Then I did a little research on line about pigeons and their reproduction habits. They lay 1 - 2 eggs in 2 weeks the eggs hatch, then the baby birds stay in the nest for 6WEEKS! That's 8+ weeks of nasty birds on my porch. But I sucked it up because I wanted to be nice to these birds. I peeked in on then every day to see if they had hathced yet.

Finally the first egg hatches, the second egg never does, somehow a couple weeks after the one hatched the second just disappeared. The baby bird was the ugliest thing I had ever seen, so that was kind of disappointing, that I put up with all of the pigeons poo on my porch for a very ugly bird, and now I have to wait 6 more weeks before I can get these birds and their poo off my porch.



Despite all the poo that you can see, it was pretty amazing how quickly this ugly little baby bird turned into what looked like an adult pigeon. Shortly after we could tell that all of the little baby down feathers had fallen off we thought we could finally get rid of all the mess. NO! 2 more eggs showed up in that nasty pile of a nest! I was really disappointed, because this picture does not do the amount of mess that those dang birds made justice, so Lance being the wonderful husband that he is took care of everything.

5 comments:

Mike and Bianca said...

Ew! Look at all that poop! I didn't know they layed 2 more eggs!!

My sister and I set up a backdrop with mike's speaker poles and a table cloth. Turned out pretty good, huh?!

Melissa said...

Watch out Kelli, we had pigeons on the roof of our townhome in Chino Hills. Every year they came back to nest! Even when we tore their nest down. They came back, until we put up foil and spikes then they had to find a new home.

Melissa said...

Oh Yeah... I meant to ask you, did Mia win the radio contest??? We voted many times for her.

Sarah said...

ick! Pigeons are so gross. Even their name makes me get the 'cotton mouth'. Try this website, it gives a lot of tips on pigeon removal:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Pigeons

Lianna said...

remember when Brandon and Lance would shoot them with airsoft guns? that didn't really work though. Now we have a random cat stuck up there sometimes, that should take care of the bird problem right?